Company Figures and Facts
Bayer Corporation is the U.S. subsidiary of Bayer AG, a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Our products and services are designed to benefit people and improved their quality of life. Bayer: Science For A Better Life.
- Bayer HealthCare
- Bayer CropScience
- Bayer MaterialScience
- Bayer Business & Technology Services
Bayer in the United States has more than 15,000 employees at approximately 65 facilities. For more information regarding our United States locations, please see Our Communities page.
- Sales: €8,177 million
- Employees: 15,800
Click here for the North American Regional Profile
Number of Employees By Function (Globally)*
- Production: 47,600
- Sales: 41,800
- Research and Development: 13,300
- Administration: 9,100
*As of December 31, 2011.
- Adalat™ - drug for the treatment of hypertension
- Advantage™ - line of flea control products for dogs and cats
- Aspirin™ - pain reliever based on acetylsalicyclic acid
- Avalox™/Aveloz™ - drug to treat respiratory infections
- Betaferon™/Baetaseron™ - specialty medicine to treat multiple sclerosis
- Contour™ - umbrella brand for blood glucose monitoring systems
- Glucobay™ - drug for the treatment of diabetes
- Kogenate™ - hemophilia treatment
- Levitra™ - erectile dysfunction treatment
- Mirena™ - hormonal contraceptive
- Nexavar™ - drug to treat kidney and liver cancer
- YAZ™ / Yasmin™ / Yasminelle™ - hormonal contraceptives
- Atlantis™ - herbicide
- Basta™/ Liberty™/ Rely™/ Ignite™ - insecticide
- Confidor™/ Gaucho™/ Admire™/ Merit™ - insecticide
- Decis™/K-Otherine™ - insecticide
- Fandango™ - fungicide
- Flint™/Stratego™/Sphere™/Nativo™ - fungicide
- Folicur™/Raxil™ - fungicide
- Poncho™ - seed treatment
- Proline™/Input™/Prosaro™ - fungicides
- Puma™ - herbicide
- Bayblend™ - brand name for polymer blends based on polycarbonate and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene
- Baycusan™ C - brand name for polyurethane dispersions used in cosmetic formulations
- Baydur™ - polyurethane system for appliance housings, medical equipment, sports goods, sanitary items and furniture
- Bayflex™ - family of elastic polyurethane systems with customizable properties for a range of applications
- Baytubes™ - brand name for multi-wall carbon nanotubes
- Desmodur™/Desmophen™ - raw materials for automotive and industrial coatings and anti-corrosion systems
- Desmopan™ - thermoplastic polyurethanes for a varitey oh high-tech applications
- Makrolon™ - transparent, impact-resistant polycarbonate for CDs, DVDs, automotive applications, architectural glazing, and applications in the electrical/electronics industry
- Multitec™ - innovative polyurethane spray system for the manufacture of large-area parts
**In alphabetical order
Bayer was founded at Barmen, Germany in 1863 by Friedrich Bayer and his partner, Johann Friedrich Weskott.
Bayer's first major product was acetylsalicylic acid (originally discovered by French chemist Charles Frederic Gerhardt in 1853), a modification of salicylic acid or salicin, a folk remedy found in the bark of the willow plant.
Bayer trademarked Aspirin™ by 1899.
Nobel Prize for Medicine:
In 1939, Bayer scientist gerhard Domagk is awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine for his discovery of the antibacterial effects of sulfonamides (Prontosil)
Bayer in Pittsburgh:
In 1986, Bayer's entire U.S. activities are consolidated under the management holding company Bayer US Inc., Pittsburgh.
Making Science Make Sense® (MSMS):
Bayer formalized its dedication to advancing science education and literacy in 1995 with the establishment of our hands-on, inquiry-based Making Science Make Sense® (MSMS) program.
Guinness Book of World Records:
To mark the 100th birthday of Aspirin™ on March 6, 1999, professional mountaineers wrap Bayer's former high-rise headquarters building in Leverkusen, transforming it into the "world's biggest Aspirin™ pack" and earning the company three entries in the Guinness Book of World Records.
List of Essential Medicines:
In February 2003, the World Health Organization (WHO) includes acetylsalicylic acid, the active ingredient in Aspirin™, in its "List of essential medicines."
Bayer: Science For A Better Life:
In 2005, Bayer launched its new image campaign: "Bayer: Science For A Better Life." The campaign portrays Bayer as an inventor company with a rich hsitory that is also leading the way in intensive future-oriented research.
A Lasting Presence:
Our illuminated 18-ft. logo, visible to thousands of cummuters traveling the Parkway West each day, was errected in 2005 as a symbol of Bayer's continuing commitment to Pittsburgh.
In June 2008, Bayer is presented with the 2008 Environmental Award in the category "Environmentally Friendly Technologies" by the Federation of German Industries (BDI). Use of the new oxygen depolarized cathode technology saves energy and reduces CO2 emissions.